This introductory Point of Care Ultrasound (PoCUS) course has been designed for doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants who work in acute care e.g Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Surgery. It provides the core knowledge and hands-on training required to start using point of care ultrasound in you practice.
Applications covered include: Physics, Instrumentation, Aorta, Trauma (eFAST), Vascular Access, Shock, Cardiac (Echo in Life Support – ELS), Obstetric.
Using a combination of pre-reading, interactive lectures, and hands-on workstations, this course will teach the basics of Point of Care Ultrasound, and give you the confidence to start practicing.
It meets all the requirement for those wanting to progress to certification with CPoCUS Acute Care Core PoCUS Independent Practitioner (IP). If this is your intention then we would recommend also signing up for CanPoCUS IP School (up to 100 scans) or even the CanPoCUS Academy (Intro course, all required scans, IP exam).
This course includes hands-on practice with high fidelity PoCUS pathology simulation with our own CAE Vimedix Simulator (CAE Vimedix Simulator)
Point of Care Ultrasound for Emergency Medicine and Resuscitation
Edited and authored by CanPoCUS Faculty
Point of Care Ultrasound for Emergency Medicine and Resuscitation is the definitive guide to using this indispensable clinical tool quickly, safely, and accurately to diagnose patients in emergency, acute, and critical care settings.
With a practical focus on how to perform ultrasound and interpret images, this book demonstrates how the reader can use ultrasound safely in patient management to diagnose and manage shock, acute presentations, or the acute phases of key conditions. Extensively illustrated 312 pages, this resource also comes with online access to 160 ultrasound clips and over 130 annotated ultrasound images.
This book is included with course application
CanPoCUS Core Program
- Physics and Instrumentation
- Abdominal Aorta
- Practical 1 – Optimising the Image / Normal Aorta
- E-FAST 1 (Abdomen/Pelvic)
- E-FAST 2 (Cardiac/Thoracic)
- Practical 2 –FAST, Thoracic, Obstetric
- Shock / IVC
- Cardiac (ELS)
- Practical Workshop 3-ELS, Shock, AAA, Vascular Access
- Certification Process
Practical 1 – Optimising the image / Normal Aorta
Practical 2 –FAST, Thoracic, Obstetric
- Normal FAST (RUQ,LUQ,Pelvis) – Normal model
- Abnormal FAST (RUQ,LUQ,Pelvis) – CAPD Patient
- Thoracic (RUQ, LUQ, Anterior Chest) – Normal model
- Sim FAST Pathology – Vimedix Sim
- Normal TA Pelvic – Normal female model
Practical 3 – ELS, Shock, AAA, Vascular Access
- Cardiac (Parasternal views) – Normal model
- Sim Cardiac Pathology – Vimedix Sim
- Abdominal Aneurysm – AAA Patient
- IVC – Normal model
- Line placement – Normal model and Central line Phantom